Five Health Benefits Of Fish Oil For Dogs
As a dog owner, it is only natural to want to do everything you can to protect the health of your pet. An important part of that is making sure that their nutritional needs are being met.
Although there are a lot of supplements on the market, not all of them live up to the hype. There is, however, one supplement that is definitely worth adding to their diet – fish oil. Below are five benefits of fish oil for dogs. After seeing these benefits, you most likely will want to start adding this supplement to your pet’s diet right away.
1. Reduced inflammation. EPA, which is one of the essential fatty acids found in fish oil, has been scientifically proven to reduce inflammation. If your dog suffers from any inflammatory conditions such as arthritis or allergies, fish oil can make a major difference in their comfort and well-being.
2. Healthier skin and a beautiful coat. Omega-3 fatty acids like the ones found in fish oil also improve the overall health of the skin, reducing or eliminating problems like dandruff, dry skin, or skin allergies. These fatty acids also benefit the coat, making your dog’s fur thick, beautiful, and shiny.
3. Improved cognitive function. DHA, which is the other essential fatty acid found in fish oil, has been shown to help the brain develop more effectively. Giving fish oil supplements to a pregnant dog can result in healthier puppies with better-developed brains. You can also add this supplement to puppy food to help young dogs develop better cognitive function as they grow older. Even older dogs can benefit from the brain-boosting power of DHA.
4. Improved appetite. Sometimes, it can be challenging to get older dogs or dogs that are sick to eat. Adding fish oil to their food helps make it more flavorful, acting as an appetite stimulant. You may have an easier time getting them to consume food when you “season” it with fish oil.
5. Improved immune function. Fish oil helps to regulate the immune system, allowing it to function more effectively. This makes it easier for your dog to fend off illness and disease.
Talk to your veterinarian about whether or not fish oil is a good choice for your dog, and review this chart if you start using it. This is especially important if your dog has existing health problems. They can help you come up with the right dosage for your pet to provide them with the support and nourishment that they need.